Thursday, March 31, 2016
- Helpline numbers: 1070, 033-2214-3526, 033-2253-5185, 033-2214-5664
- Hyderabad based IVRCL group was constructing the flyover
A flyover under construction in Kolkata as collapsed killing at least 10 persons and injuring many on Thursday afternoon near Ganesh talkies.
Sources said many construction workers were trapped under the debris. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee rushed to the spot. Sources said that over thirty people have been shifted to various hospitals and many more have to be rescued. Nearly 100 persons might be under debris to be rescued.
The Indian Army and NDRF teams have been pressed into service for rescue operations. The helpline number is 1070
- BJP said that it is a clear case of corruption. Prime Minister Narendra Modi who is in Washington said ‘shocked, saddened by collapse of under construction flyover. Took stock of the situation and rescue operations. My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives in Kolkata. May injured recover at the earliest. – Narendra Modi
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that the flyover construction began in 2008 during CPM time and not our time. ‘ Our main focus is to rescue those who are trapped. The West Bengal government has announced compensation of Rs.5 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs.2 lakh for the injured.
- At least 15 dead and over 150 trapped under debris. Television footage showed a body being pulled out and a bloody hand reaching out from under the rubble. Visuals also showed cars and a minibus buried under the collapsed bridge. Fires erupted when petrol tanks of cars were crushed. The Army is using heat cameras to track survivors.
- The two kilo meter flyover was coming up at Burrabazar and has been under construction since 2009. Union Minister Babul Supriyo alleged that the flyover was not properly planned. He said that it is complete callousness of the State Government and the flyover was touching the windows of houses.
21 killed in the flyover collapse
- As the reports last came in, 21 persons were killed and 88 injured as two parts of Vivekananda Flyover collapsed at noon on Thursday. The death toll is likely to increase as scores of people inside vehicles were trapped under the collapsed bridge.
- Government to constitute a committee: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that the government would constitute a team of experts from IIT and Jadvpur University to investigate the flyover collapse. While a First Information Report had been filed in central Kolkata police station, she said in a written statement that the government will not spare the builders. They are a blacklisted company and we will take stringent action. A complete plan of action from the builders has been claimed by the government but it did not reach, she added.
‘An act of God’, says IVRCL
- IVRCL Limited, the construction company said it was an act of God. He said that it is for the first time in the history of the company that such an incident has occurred. We are unable to comprehend at this stage what could have happened. It is beyond our thinking, It is like an act of God said A.G.K.Murty, Director (Operations) of IVRCL.
Comment on this story