Friday, February 16, 2018
Seven workers were allegedly killed due to asphyxiation caused by poisonous gases when they got into a septic tank to repair flushing machine at Sri Venkateswara Hatcheries at Moram village.
The workers were summoned to clean the tank entered it without any safety gear. All the victims were declared brought dead at the Government Hospital at Palamaner. Three other workers, who were declared out of danger were shifted to CMC Hospital at Vellore in Tamil Nadu.
District Collector P.S.Pradyumna and SP S.V.Rajasekhar Babu rushed to the spot. The police suspect that some harmful chemicals were drained into the septic tank along with regular waste from the hatcheries leading to emanation of poisonous gases.
The victims have been identified as Ramesh, Ramachandra, Reddappa, Kesavan, Govinda Swami of Moram village, Venkata Raju of Panapakam village of Chandragiri mandal and R.Babu of Mulbagal of Karnataka.
Minister for Industries N.Amarnath Reddy, who represents Palamaner constituency directed the District Collector to order an inquiry and initiate criminal action against the concerned and the police registered a case. Meanwhile, the District Collector announced an ex gratia of Rs.25 lakh each to the families of the deceased including Rs.15 lakh each o behalf of the factory. He said that the State government would provide pension to the families of the deceased and free education for their children.