AndhraNews.net
   

Jagadalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand express derailment-39 passengers killed

Revision as of 09:57, 23 January 2017 by Kumar (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Sunday, January 22, 2017
Vijayawada/Vizianagaram/Visakhapatnam

Indian Railways
Indian Railways

The death toll has risen to 39 in the drastic Jagadalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand express accident on Saturday night that derailed near Kuneru Railway Station at around 11.30pm.

It may be recalled that nine bogies of the train derailed and most of them dead were sleeping and were crushed to death.

Deputy Chief Minister Chinarajappa visits KGH:: Deputy Chief Minister Nimmakayala Chinarajappa visited KGH to enquire about the condition of railway passengers undergoing treatment here on Sunday. Nine passengers were brought to the hospital and the condition of one of them is said to be critical. He said that the best possible treatment would be provided to them and subsequently arrangements would be made to take them to their respective hometowns.

Identifying bodies becomes a herculean task:: Identifying the bodies has become an Herculean task as some of the passengers have either not provided their contact numbers in the reservation slip or travelled in unreserved coach. Officials said that they are collecting information through Helpline numbers and other modes on missing passengers. In the list released by railways, 13 were yet to be identified.

Special buses for stranded passengers:: The Railways on Sunday deployed 13 special buses to transport stranded passengers to places such as Brahmapur and Bhawanipatna in Odisha. One passenger special train with 13 coaches carrying the stranded passengers of 18448 Jagadalpur-Jungarah Road-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express was run from Kuneru to Bhubaneswar via Rayagada-Titilagar-Sambalapur-Anugul. Sources said that 600 passengers had been shifted in the special passenger train and buses. With the impact of the derailment, several trains were cancelled.

CID inquiry ordered:: Chief Minister N.Chandrababu Naidu on Sunday expressed shock and grief over the death of 39 passengers in the train accident. He tweeted ‘Families of victims from AP who lost their lives in the railway accident will get Rs.5 lakh compensation under Chandranna Bima’. He ordered a CID inquiry into the incident as the sabotage angle cannot be ruled out. He asked the Chief Secretary and the DGP to keep in touch with their counterparts in Odisha for speedy implementation of relief operations. APSRTC was asked to ply special buses to shift the stranded passengers from the accident spot.

The identified are included M.Krishna (35), P.Srinu (25), B.Kamala (50), Gayatri Sahu (14), Dilip Kumar Routh (51), T.K.Mainj (45) Somu Anamma, Vishnu Prasad Sahu, Rajan Nayak, Subash Ch.Sashu (60), S.Renuka, P.Poli (35), Jasoda Pandit, Rama Prasad Pandit, K.Revathi (16), Mondal Balram, Subabrata Sahu, Tapan Kumar Pradhan, Kartik Sahu (21), Radha (8), Poolan Devi, K.Ravi Kumar (20) and Bedhudhar Boyi.

It may be recalled that Hirakhand Express derails – over 50 passengers feared killed on Saturday night. Initial reports said that over 50 passengers were feared to have been killed but the death toll stood at 39 as on today.


Comment on this story