Thursday, November 30, 2017
Chief Minister Nara Chandrababu Naidu today offered to entrust the prestigious Polavaram project to the Central Government immediately if it was not satisfied with the progress and had doubts over the milestones set by the State for its early completion.
Speaking in the Assembly, Chandrababu Naidu said that he would have no objection to stop the tendering process as asked by the Centre and even if the Centre wanted to take over the project on its own, in the interest of people of the State. He looked clearly upset with the way the Centre was raising technical objections, the latest being the letter shot off by Union Water Resources Department asking the government to stop the tendering process till the issue of changing the contractor was resolved.
Chandrababu said that his governmental was not adopting a confrontationist approach as he was still hopeful that the issue would be resolved amicably and asserted that it was showing high levels of tolerance in view of the alliance it had with the BJP and NDA government. He said that he would be meeting the Prime Minister in a day or two to inform him of the status of the various comments given under the AP Reorganization Act and the six assurances that the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had given in the Parliament.
He said that the State has spent about Rs.4,000 crore from its coffers with the hope that the money will be reimbursed as further delay in the construction will set the clock back by many years . He said that Rs.12,000 crore had so far been spent and it required another Rs.42,000 crore for completion at the present prices. He said that the Centre had given its approval for the special assistance on March 15, 2017 and it was to be extended by way of special dispensation in the funding of Externally Aided Projects and the Irrigation component of the Polavaram project.