Sunday, March 6, 2016
- The Justice Vishnu Sahay Commission's Report on the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots was tabled in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly on Sunday.
- The Muzaffarnagar riots have left 60 persons dead and 60,000 homeless in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining districts in Uttar Pradesh.
- The Justice Vishnu Sahay Commission probed the matter and blamed the negligence of local administration, failure of intelligence agencies and exaggerating reporting in the social and print media for the riots.
- SSP, Muzaffarnagar, Subhash Chandra Dubey and a local intelligence inspector, Prabal Pratap Singh, were held directly responsible for the Muzaffarnagar riots of 2013.
- In a 775-page Sahay report, the Commission has given clean chit to the Akhilesh Yadav government in Uttar Pradesh and placed the entire blame on teh local administration for misjudging and mishandling the situation that led to the riots.
- Transfer of officials during the riots worsened the situation, the commission observed.
- It is interesting to note that the Commission felt that no further action can be taken against BJP MLA Sangeet Som who had allegedly uploaded a fake video in YouTube, since his role is already being investigated by the police. Sangeet Som is accused in two cases related to the riots and is currently out on bail.
- Case against politicians Qadir Rana, Noor Salim Rana, Rashid Siddiqui, Ehsan Qureshi and others have been already registered and no further action can be taken.
- The Commission also said that no one could be directly held responsible for the hate speeches.
- Senior lawyer Asad Hayat, who is a co-petitioner in a Muzaffarnagar riots case in the Supreme Court, has called the report a "cover-up." Another petitioner Shehzad Poonawalla condenmed the report for giving clean chit to the UP government and BJP leaders.
- Uttar Pradesh Congress leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi also refused to accept the clean chit given to the Samajwadi Party government.
Comment on this story