Friday, December 25, 2015
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi became the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Pakistan in 11 years when he made a surprise visit to Pakistan on his way back to India from Afghanistan.
- He was received by Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his brother Shahbaz Sharif at the Allama Iqbal Airport in Lahore at 4:52 pm.
- Nawaz Sharif celebrated his 65th birthday today. Earlier in the day, Narendra Modi tweeted "Spoke to PM Nawaz Sharif & wished him on his birthday. Looking forward to meeting PM Nawaz Sharif in Lahore today afternoon, where I will drop by on my way back to Delhi." Later in the day when he was still busy with his Afghanistan visit, Narendra Modi tweeted "Looking forward to meeting PM Nawaz Sharif in Lahore today afternoon, where I will drop by on my way back to Delhi,"
- Immediately, Indian foreign affairs minister Sushma Swaraj praised Narendra Modi on twitter appreciating the sudden unannounced visit
- Narendra Modi is accompanied by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar.
- Narendra Modi's surprise visit to Pakistan was welcomed at home by CPI.
- The two leaders last met at the Paris Climate Summit COP21.
- This is Narendra Modi's first visit to Pakistan
Comment on this story