Tuesday, October 25, 2016
As many as 44 workers were taken to ill at Nekkanti Sea Foods following a gas leak in the unit at Kattamuru village of Peddapuram mandal on Monday night.
The incident came to light on Tuesday morning when they were admitted in a private hospital in the city. Though no causalities were reported, both the management and officials of Labour Department were tight-lipped. Sources said that the incident took place in the processing unit section and the workers started falling unconscious after inhaling a gas suspected to be ammonia. As many as 16 workers were discharged after being given first aid.
A fact finding team from the CITU found that the unit hired women in large numbers on contract basis and failed to provide basic facilities to the workers. The company was paying them Rs.200 a day and there was no provision of ESI and PF to the workers. They demanded Rs.5 lakh each to all the victims and regularization of their services.