AndhraNews.net
Home » State News » 2014 » June » June 14, 2014

'No special status for Andhra Pradesh', says Planning Commission


June 14, 2014 - Hyderabad

The Planning Commission said that Special Status cannot be given to Andhra Pradesh Government under the rules by National Development Board.

The Planning Commission officials in their power point presentation to union Planning Commission Minister Inderjit Singh Rao clarified the position. They said that under Gadgil Mukherjee formula, the States that are enjoying special status will get 90 per cent as Planning Grant while the rest 10 per cent as loan.

It may be noted here that at present the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Uttarakhand Nagaland, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Sikkim are enjoying Special Status.

Criteria for special status category
National Development Council that accords special status based on a certain set of criteria that includes hilly and difficult terrain, low population density and or sizeable share of tribal population, strategical location along with borders with neighbouring countries, economic and infrastructure backwardness and non-viable nature of state finances.

Andhra News

Comment on this story

Share