Two engineers from Seemac die in an accident at Visakhapatnam Steel Plant.
June 15, 2014 - Hyderabad
- Two engineers Anish and Rajanish died in a fire accident that occurred in Visakhapatnam Steel Plant Steel Melt Shop (SMS) no on Monday at 10.30am.
Sources said that leakage of carbon monoxide gas is the cause of the accident. The two engineers Anush (30) from Chennai while Rajanish (35) from Uttar Pradesh belongs to Seimag India Company according to sources. The dead bodies have been rushed to KGH for post-mortem.
Two engineers of Steel Melt Shop -2 (SMS) of Seimag India Limited were dead due to alleged gas leakage when they were on inspecting the containing laboratory in the expansion areas due to suspected gas leak. They were rushed to Visakhapatnam Steel General Hospital where the doctors pronounced brought dead.
Third fatal incident:
This was the third fatal incident in a span of two years. On May 1, 2012, two workers died in an explosion at new blast furnace. On June 13, 2013 the worst-ever industrial accident in the recent years claimed 19 lives at oxygen pressure reduction station of Visakhapatnam Steel Plant.
The management of SMS Seimag India Ltd., has agreed to give a compensation of Rs.35 lakh each of the engineers who died. The amount includes insurance claims is one of the highest agreed by any private employer, it is learnt.
BJP MP wants a probe:
Meanwhile Visakhapatnam MP K Haribabu who spoke to the RINL CMD P Madhusudan wanted a probe into the incident and expressed shock over the incident. He expressed sympathies to the bereaved families and assured them of the post possible help to them.
Gajuwaka MLA blames it on safety lapse:
Gajuwaka MLA Palla Srinivasa Rao said that the emission of poisonous gas led to the death of two engineers. Speaking to press after visiting the hospital, he said that the accidents were frequently occurring at VSP, HPCL and other industries due to certain lapses in following safety measures.