Andhra Pradesh News on May 3, 2014
May 3, 2014 - Hyderabad
- Lokesh urges for historic mandate
CHITTOOR: Nara Lokesh son of Chandrababu Naidu on Saturday urged the people of Kuppam to give a historic majority to his father Naidu and ensure defeat of YSRCP. Addressing a gathering, Lokesh came down heavily on YSRCP president Jagan Mohan Reddy and his father YSR alleging that he looted the State. He said that Chandrababu Naidu was an able administrator with rich political experience that the development of Seemandhra is only possible with him.
- Police foil Medha Patkar meeting
VISAKHAPATNAM: Police on Saturday has thwarted a road show by social activist Medha Patkar at GVMC Gandhi statue for not obtaining permission. Describing the denial of permission as unfortunate she said, 'I contested as AAP candidate in Mumbai North East and campaigned for my party at various places. But nowhere, did I face such an embarrassing situation. As far as I know, we can hold public meetings anywhere without causing traffic obstructions and law and order problem', she said. The Sub Inspector who led the flying squad team said since the model code of conduct was in force, they would have been forced to register a code violation case had the AAP leader went ahead with the meeting. He said as per the code, anyone holding a public meeting should take permission from the nearest Station House Officer, he said.
- State boy tops in JEE Main examination
HYDERABAD: V. Pramod , a student form Nellore district topped the JEE main examination even as candidates from the State outclassed their counterparts form the rest of the country in the JEE entrance test . He is studying in an institute in Vijayawada, secure the top score of 355 out of 360. He hails from Sullurapeta in Nellore district .
- Former minister Mareppa joins BJP
VISAKHAPATNAM: Former Congress minister and YSR Congress leader M Mareppa joined BJP in the presence of Seemandhra BJP president K Hari Babu at a meeting here on Saturday. He said that he took the decision due to the YSRCP's apathy towards Madigas in allotment of seats for the forthcoming polls, said a BJP release on Saturday.
- Police seize Rs.1.14 lakh cash from Church
VIJAYAWADA: Police seized Rs.1.14 lakh packed in envelopes from a church compound at Kaikalur town on Saturday. The special police team, headed by election surveillance officials, raided the church following a tip-off that cash was being distributed to pastors. Police found 229 envelopes each containing RS.500 hidden in sand in the church compound. Surveillance team chief Suresh Kumar said that they have recovered the amount and took the pastor of the church into custody.
- A rare book with the judgements of Supreme Court
NEW DELHI: A book compiled by the judgements delivered by the Supreme Court of India with 43,000 judgements from 1950 to 2013 was compiled by Justice Deepak Mishra. The book contains the judgements delivered by 212 justices during the period.
- Krishna district tops with 82 per centage pass in intermediate examinations
Krishna district tops with 82 per cent pass percentage in the intermediate second year results that were announced on Saturday. Boys with 61.87 pass while girls with 69.52 per centage pass recorded with an increase of two per cent compared to last year. The advanced supplementary examination will be held from May 25.
- Kadapa to be recommended for the State capital', says Jairam Ramesh
KADAPA: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday said that a proposal recommending Kadapa as the State Capital of the new state of Andhra Pradesh would be submitted to the committee appointed for this purpose. He said that he would be forwarding the proposal to the committee.
- Low turnout greets Sonia Gandhi
GUNTUR: Low turnout greeted the AICC president Sonia Gandhi at the Andhra Muslim College grounds in Guntur when she visited here to address a campaign on Friday. It was her first visit to Seemandhra after division of the State. 'For the first time in the Reorganisation Act, a special development package has been given for Seemandhra. Special boards are being set up for distribution of Krishna and Godavari river waters while the Polavaram multi-purpose irrigation project has been given national status that will ensure 90 per cent funding from the Centre,' Sonia said.
- Police seize Rs.19.80 lakhs at Karam Shivaji residence
EAST GODAVARI: Police on Saturday during its raids at the residence of Mala Mahandu president Karam Shivaji at Magam at Inavelli mandal in the district seized Rs.19.80 lakhs and are inquiring.
- Telugu Desam Party chief Chandrababu Naidu will tour in East and West Godavari districts today.
- Jana Sena party chief Pawan Kalyan will hold electoral campaigns in Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam districts.
- Union Minister Jairam Ramesh and APCC president N Raghuveera Reddy will canvass in Anantapur districts.
- Jai Samaikyandhra president Kiran Kumar Reddy will address public meetings in Krishna district.
- BJP national leader Venkaiah Naidu said that the Congress party is finished in Seemandhra. Speaking to media in Hyderabad, Venkaiah Naidu ridiculed that Sonia Gandhi addressed a public meeting to empty chairs in Guntur yesterday. Venkaiah Naidu also criticized Centre's move to initiate an investigation on 'Snoopgate' that involved Narendra Modi.
- Police seized Rs 19.8 lakh cash from the residence of Mala Mahanadu president Karem Sivaji in Magam of East Godavari district.
- Lok Satta Party president Jayaprakash Narayan urged people not to believe in the promises made by political parties which are above the state budget. He canvassed for the party candidates in Guntur district today. Reacting to Tamil Nadu's opposition of including NIA in the probe of Chennai bomb blasts, JP opined that such incidents should be investigated by national investigation agencies only.