Andhra Pradesh News on January 8, 2013
January 8, 2013 - Hyderabad
- MIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi was arrested and shifted to Nirmal police station in Adilabad. Earlier, the police took him to Gandhi hospital where a team of five doctors performed medical tests and declared him fit to undergo questioning.
- Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy met Governor ESL Narasimhan and apprised him of the current situation involving MIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi. The Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy later met the Chief Minister.
- K Mehfuz Ali Khan, the seventh accused in the Obulapuram illegal iron ore mining case has moved the CBI Court in Hyderabad saying that he is a stranger in the case and not the personal assistant of former Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhana Reddy, as accused by the CBI. He contended that his name was not mentioned in the FIR and that there were no charges against him. The judge posted the case to January 10.
- Rural Development Minister Dokka Manikya Vara Prasada Rao told the media that a decision on the power tariff hike issue has not yet finalised. A final decision would be taken by the Cabinet only after taking the opinion of all those concerned.
- Medical Education minister Kondru Murali Mohan has criticized the opposition parties on the power tariff hike issue. He also criticized Endowments minister C Ramachandraiah for making irresponsible comments without knowledge of complete facts. Murali Mohan lashed out against the TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu for the remarks of corruption against Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy.
- TDP official spokesman Narendar Reddy demanded seizure of all the assets of YSR Congress Party chief Jagan Mohan Reddy. He criticized the one crore signature campaign of YSRCP to free Jagan Mohan Reddy from the jail while the CBI is building a strong case of corruption against Jagan. He demanded Jagan Mohan Reddy to explain to the people as to how he could amass so much wealth.
- Principal Special Court for CBI Cases allows V Vijay Sai Reddy to go on a pilgrimage from January 11 to 20. The Court directed him to keep his cell phone switched on from 9 am to 9 pm so as to be available to the CBI.
- Former Judge of the Supreme Court of India P Venkatarama Reddi called for zero tolerance towards rape and sexual violence against women. He addressed a seminar on 'Sexual Violence against women - issues and Challenges' in Hyderabad.
- YSR Congress leader Jupudi Prabhakar condemns Akbaruddin Owaisi's alleged hate speech and says that the YSRCP is against fundamentalists. Reacting to the proposed power tariff hike, he said the party activists would picket sub-stations in all assembly segments on Wednesday protesting the move.
- The NALSAR University of Law has suggested reforms in the rape law, safety audit and community policing. The University is not favoring death penalty for crime as part of its suggestions to Justice JS Verma Committee.