Andhra Pradesh News on January 12, 2013
January 12, 2013 - Hyderabad
- MIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi was questioned on the first day for over four and half hours. The MLA was given to police custody for five days.
- Khanapur TDP MLA Suman Rathod was granted conditional bail in a land grabbing case.
- Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy said that the government is not yet considering increasing the hike in power tariff. He said that the aggregate revenue requirement submitted to the Electricity Regulatory Commission will be discussed by the Cabinet sub-committee on power and that people are free to submit suggestions. He blamed the opposition for trying to create apprehensions among people on the hike.
- CPM State Secretary BV Raghavulu alleged that the Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy has given his prior consent to the distribution companies (discoms) to submit proposals to the Electricity Regulatory Commission for a hike in power tariff.
- Civil Supplies Minister D Sridhar Babu announces 'Mana Biyyam' as part of the Re.1-a-kg rice scheme. The raw rice which costs government Rs. 25.50 a kg will be supplied to 2.2 crore white card holders at Re. 1.
- The tickets at film theatres in the State are set to increase as the file is now pending for the approval of the Chief Minister.
- Vijayawada MP Lagadapati Rajagopal expressed his confidence that the State will remain united irrespective of any announcement from the Centre on January 28. Speaking to media at Tiruvur in Krishna district, Rajagopal reminded that the Prime Minister had earlier said that a separate Telangana state is not possible without consensus. Rajagopal said that the UPA or the NDA cannot form separate Telangana state without passing a resolution in the Assembly.
- Kakinada MLA Dwarampudi Chandrasekhar is likely to announce quitting the Congress party on Sunday. According to sources, he had already announced his intentions of joining the YSR Congress Party to his followers and supporters. A public announcement is likely to be made on Sunday.
- Union Minister K Chiranjeevi had an overnight stay at the Government guest house in Visakhapatnam. He reached the city after participating in the Kakinada Beach Festival on Friday.
- Film actor and TDP leader Nandamuri Balakrishna has conveyed Pongal greetings to the people of the State. He spoke to the media at the Renigunta airport. Balakrishna would spend the pongal festival at the hometown of TDP chief and his brother-in-law N Chandrababu Naidu in Naravaripalle. TDP leaders G Muddukrishnama Naidu, Bojjala Gopalakrishna Reddy, Jangalapalli Srinivasulu and others received him. Chandrababu Naidu's son Lokesh, NTR's son Jayakrishna also received a grand welcome at the Renigunta airport in the evening.
- The Chilkalguda police in Hyderabad picked up a 55-year-old man who was alleged to have repeatedly sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl for two months. The accused is a friend of the girl's father who deceased recently. The man told the police that he is impotent.