APSRTC to introduce Intelligence Transport System for better passenger service
October 19, 2013 - Hyderabad
APSRTC Vice Chairman and Managing Director AK Khan said that it will soon introduce Intelligence Transport System (ITS) to improve punctuality of buses that leads to provide better service to passengers.
Speaking to media on Saturday, he said that it will not only improve punctuality but also inculcate discipline among employees. Apart from electronic display boards and real time passenger information system would be put up at bus stations to enable passengers to know the arrival time of their bus and use the waiting time effectively. This tracking system would be introduced on a pilot basis on 3,500 buses on the Hyderabad-Nellore, Hyderabad-Vijayawada and Hyderabad-Karimnagar routes and would be extended to other routes based on the success of the project.
Khan said that 85 per cent of the buses were back on the roads after the Samikhayndhra agitation in the Seemandhra region and the remaining 15 per cent were still unfit for operations as they had to be serviced.
There were a total of 15,000 buses in Seemandhra region and a net loss of Rs.745.13 crore was due to the recent Samikhayndhra agitation. He said that the total loss to the Corporation was put to Rs.585 crore during 2011-12 was brought down to Rs.81 crore during 2012-13. On the target of acquiring 2,000 new buses this year but procured only 700 buses. The fares could not be increased proportionately as the RTC was a public service organization though the frequent increase in diesel prices cost of spares parts and increase in salaries of employees were causing a drain on the resources. On meeting the shortfall, he said that the Corporation is looking for alternative means to raise resources. He said that they have plans to raise at least 10 per cent of the revenue through the assets of the corporation like bus stations. He said that a study has been conducted and the available assets haven been codified and this work was hampered due to the recent agitation, he said.