AndhraNews.net
Home » Sports News » 2011 » February » February 8, 2011

Torres refuses to give up Chelsea's Premier League title hopes


February 8, 2011 - London

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is confident that the Blues will be able to defend the Premier League title despite being 10 points behind table-topping Manchester United.

Torres' much-hyped first appearance in a blue shirt after his record 50 million pound move last week failed to live up to expectations, when he was replaced after 66 minutes and the team lost 1-0 to Liverpool.

"It was very difficult, Liverpool played a good game, with three at the back. We were not expecting that and maybe they took advantage of that," the Daily Mail quoted Torres, as saying.

"I think the fair result was the draw, it was unfair to lose that game, but now we are looking forwards to the next game and will keep fighting until the end. There are a lot of points still to play for," he added.

The 26-year-old was subjected to a torrent of abuse from the travelling Liverpool fans, but the striker says that he would prefer to look on the positive welcome he received from the Stamford Bridge supporters.

"Obviously everyone wants to win, especially if it is their first game at home, but I will still have very good memories about my reception here and want to thank all of the Chelsea fans for that nice reception," Torres said.

"The result was not the best, but we have to keep going and fighting until the end," he added.

ANI

Comment on this story

Share