AndhraNews.net
Home » Sports News » 2011 » June » June 9, 2011

Suspended Pak bowler Amir's penalty may be extended over ban breach


June 9, 2011 - London

The five-year ban slapped on Pakistani bowler Mohammad Aamer by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on spot-fixing charges may be extended, as he was caught playing league cricket over the weekend in violation of the terms and conditions of his sanction.

Aamer, who faces criminal charges over the bowling of two no-balls in the fourth Test against England last August, claimed he had been told by Surrey Cricket League side Addington 1743 that the game against St Lukes was a 'friendly'.

However, the ICC, who is investigating the matter, has made it clear that the ban prevents Amir from playing cricket at any level, and if it takes a dim view of Aamer's appearance in New Malden on Saturday, his exile may be extended, The Daily Mail reports.

It is understood that Aamer - who, along with Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt, faces a criminal hearing at Southwark Crown Court in October over charges relating to cheating and conspiracy to obtain corrupt payments - was on friendly terms with three of Addington's players.

One of them contacted Surrey League officials before the match to check eligibility rules, which state that a cricketer is ineligible to play if 'during the current season he has played first or second XI county cricket or in the minor counties' - criteria that do not apply to Aamer for obvious reasons, the report said.

But Sportsmail has learned that his name may not have been mentioned in the conversation, and there is little doubt that league officials would have ruled out Aamer's participation had they known who they were dealing with, it added

"I was informed by club representatives before the game that it was a friendly match, being played on a privately owned cricket ground. I asked the club representatives if the match fell under the jurisdiction of the ECB and they informed me that the match did not," Aamer said.

"I spoke to several club representatives about the issue and they all told me that it was a friendly match and therefore would not contravene my ban from the ICC. I was informed that I was fine to play," he added.

Meanwhile, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said it is 'investigating and liaising with the ICC as appropriate.'

ANI

Comment on this story

Share