AndhraNews.net
Home » Sports News » 2011 » July » July 9, 2011

Sri Lanka forced to postpone Premier League due to absence of Indian cricketers


July 9, 2011 - cricket

The absence of Indian players and lack of finances have forced the Sri Lankan Cricket Board to postpone the scheduled Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) Twenty20 tournament.

Officials said the tournament has been postponed until August 2012.

"We are finding it difficult to have the Premier League without India's support," Sri Lankan Cricket spokesman Brian Thomas was quoted as saying by the BBC.

The buildup to the SLPL, which was scheduled from July 19 to August 4, was severely hit after the BCCI refused to allow Indian cricketers to participate in the league.

In June, the BCCI refused to allow 12 Indian players, including Munaf Patel, R. Ashwin and Irfan Pathan to take part in the SLPL, because it said the league was run by a private company.

There were also reports of former IPL boss Lalit Modi being involved in organizing the tournament.

The Sri Lankan Cricket Board is also facing a huge financial crisis having incurred massive debts after co-hosting this year's World Cup with India and Bangladesh.

In the absence of Indian players, SLPL failed to attract the broadcasters, denting the organizers. "We can't get into more debt, Thomas said.

Earlier this week, former captain Kumar Sangakkara criticized corruption and cronyism in Sri Lankan cricket, prompting the sports minister to announce an inquiry into his behaviour.

Keywords: Sri Lanka, Premier League, Cricket, BCCI, postpone, India.

11070921.jpg

ANI

Comment on this story

Share