AndhraNews.net
Home » Sports News » 2011 » December » December 27, 2011

Collingwood not impressed by Australia's regeneration


December 27, 2011 - Melbourne

Pouring cold water on Australia's prospects of regaining the Ashes in 2013, England batsman Paul Collingwood has said he has not been impressed by the Australian's regeneration.

Collingwood, who ended his 68-Test England career in January, has closely scrutinised the Australian cricket scene since arriving to play for the Perth Scorchers in the inaugural Twenty20 Big Bash League earlier this month.

"England has got the players to be the best side in the world in Test, ODI, and Twenty20 cricket," Collingwood told The Age.

"They are already the No. 1 Test side, but we haven't seen the best of this England team. They are a well led side with Andy Flower [coach], Andrew Strauss, [Test captain], and Alastair Cook [one-day captain] in charge. They are always trying to raise the bar in the team's performance, so I don't see them losing the Ashes in 2013," he said.

He said: "The culture of this England side is also very strong, and after losing 5-0 in their one-day international tour of India in October, they won't allow that to happen again.

"Australia was the best side for 10-15 years but they are now going through what most other teams go through when great players retire and new ones come in. It takes time to rebuild and win consistently so from an England point of view it's nice to be No. 1."

Collingwood is hoping that a successful BBL stint followed by a productive season for the Delhi Daredevils in the Twenty20 Indian Premier League will earn him a one-day international recall.

ANI

Comment on this story

Share