Russia completes military takeover of Crimea
March 29, 2014 - Moscow, Russia
- Russia has completed its military takeover of Crimea.
- New reports suggested that Moscow is amassing troops on Russia's borders with Ukraine.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Barack Obama had a telephonic conversation Friday. Obama urged Putin not to take any steps further to violate the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine.
- The telephonic conversation between the two leaders is to discuss US proposal on the Ukraine crisis.
- Foreign ministers of both US and Russia are expected to meet soon to discuss the next move.
- In a television interview, President Obama said Russia must pull back its troops deployed on Ukraine border.
- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged all sides to de-escalate the situation.
- Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin denied allegations that Russia is escalating the crisis and said its up to Ukraine to restore order in their country.
- Putin on Friday submitted a proposal to Russia's lower house of Parliament to terminate agreements with Ukraine over the Black Sea Fleet.