Newmont Publishes 2013 Sustainability Report
April 16, 2014 - Denver, United States
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM) has published its 2013 sustainability report, Beyond the Mine. The report reflects Newmont’s reporting obligations as a founding member of the International Council of Mining and Metals (ICMM) as well as its commitments under the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR), the United Nations Global Compact and the Global Sullivan Principles. Finally, the report complies with the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) international standard for sustainability reporting.
“Our commitment to transparency in reporting our environmental and social performance is central to our values and our drive to make Newmont a successful and sustainable business,” said Dr. Elaine Dorward-King, Newmont’s Executive Vice President, Sustainability & External Relations. “While 2013 was marked by challenging market conditions, our team made strides in contributing to sustainable development in the communities and countries hosting our operations and projects.”
Performance highlights for 2013 include:
- Achieving the best safety performance in Newmont history;
- Reaching fair and balanced workplace agreements at our operations in Indonesia, Peru and the United States;
- Setting a goal to become an industry leader in global inclusion and diversity and establishing targets to increase female and national representation in our leadership ranks;
- Developing a global water strategy to guide a more proactive and inclusive approach to managing this shared resource;
- Commissioning environmental and social impact assessments to support responsible growth in Nevada and Suriname; and
- Taking steps to improve future reporting through setting clear metrics and indicators based on business needs and stakeholder expectations.
New features in this year’s report include:
- A sharper focus on the sustainability issues that matter most to stakeholders based on the results of a materiality assessment conducted by external experts;
- A survey tool to solicit feedback from stakeholders; and
- Case studies that illustrate Newmont’s commitment to conduct business in a responsible manner.
The full report, as well as a downloadable PDF, is available at www.beyondthemine.com. Newmont values feedback on the report or any other aspect of Newmont’s sustainability performance and invites readers to complete an online survey.
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont is a leading producer of gold and copper. Headquartered in Colorado, the Company has approximately 32,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at managed operations in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Indonesia and Ghana. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont is an industry leader in value creation, supported by its leading technical, environmental, and health and safety performance.
CONTACTS : Newmont Mining Corporation Media Contacts Omar Jabara, 303-837-5114 firstname.lastname@example.org Diane Reberger, 303-967-9455 email@example.com or Investor Contacts Kirsten Benefiel, 303-837-6117 firstname.lastname@example.org Allysa Howell, 303-837-5788 email@example.com
Source: Business Wire India