AndhraNews.net
Home » International News » 2012 » April » April 4, 2012

Pak won't prosecute Hafiz Saeed 'just to please India' without 'watertight evidence', says official


April 4, 2012 - Islamabad

A Pakistani official has reportedly said that they cannot act against Jamaatud Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed just to 'please India' until and unless they have 'watertight evidence' against him.

"In order to proceed against Hafiz Saeed we need hard and undeniable evidence that can withstand judicial scrutiny," The Dawn quoted an official of the Pakistan Interior Ministry, as saying.

"We can't prosecute a Pakistani national on the basis of hearsay just to please India," the official added.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said during a television interview that the government was yet to be officially intimated by the US about the 10 million dollars bounty for Saeed, who is now among the top five men wanted by the Americans.

The activities of Hafiz Saeed, who founded the now banned Lashkar-e-Taiba during the mid-1990s, have largely focussed on the freedom struggle in Kashmir.

He recently emerged as one of the main leaders of the Difa-i-Pakistan Council (DPC), an alliance of some 40 rightwing groups opposing reopening of suspended NATO supply routes to Afghanistan.

The reasons cited in the US 'Rewards for justice' notification include an Interpol 'red corner notice' issued by the Indian government against Saeed for his alleged role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and designation of the two groups founded by him as foreign terrorist organisations by the United Nations and US.

According to the report, Malik acknowledged that the names of LeT, JuD and Hafiz Saeed had come up several times during Pakistan-US dialogue over the past year and a half, but claimed that nothing concrete had been shared by American officials with Pakistanis in this regard.

ANI

Comment on this story

Share