International News on December 12, 2012
- U.S. Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta make a surprise visit to Afghanistan. He will meet the top U.S. commanders and also the Afghan President Hamid Karzai to discuss the number of U.S. troops required in the country.
- The Spanish police have arrested a woman containing cocaine in her breast implants.
- Sources say that the nurse who treated the Duchess of Cambridge and was the victim of a hoax call was found hanged in staff accommodation near the hospital where she worked. A suicide note was also found.
- Syrian forces fired ballistic missiles at rebel fighters inside Syria. US officials say that at least six Soviet-designed Scud missiles were fired at the rebels over the last week.
- The Michigan Senate rejected a proposal to let people buy handguns through private sales without undergoing criminal background checks. The proposal is backed by the National Rifle Association. Rejecting the proposal, the Senate voted 27-11 for a substitute proposal that makes it easier for people to apply for gun permits but with background checks.
- House Speaker John Boehner asks his fellow Republicans in the House not to make Christmas plans as they might have to work through the holidays to formula plans to avert the fiscal cliff.
An Indian Faculty, Dr. Amit Kapoor, Inducted in the Prestigious Harvard Business School Hall of Fame
On the occasion of successful completion of 10 years of Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness at Harvard Business School, founder Professor Michael E. Porter presented Dr Business Wire India
Digital Intelligence Leader Webtrends Chooses DeviceAtlas for Device Data in Webtrends Analytics Solutions
Mobile Web technology provider dotMobi and Webtrends, a leader in digital intelligence, today announced an agreement to embed device intelligence from dotMobi’s DeviceAtlas® product into Webtrends analytics solutions Business Wire India
Increase in Manufacturing Activity across Industries in the Middle East to Boost Demand for Distributed Control Systems, Finds Frost & Sullivan
Rising investments in the oil and gas, power generation, chemicals and petrochemicals, and water and wastewater industries in the Middle East have expanded the regional market for distributed control systems (DCS) Business Wire India
Toshiba Begins Sample Shipments of Business Critical Large Capacity Enterprise HDDs
Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO:6502) today announced that samples of two new large capacity nearline hard disk drives (HDDs) are available now. The 3.5-inch 7,200 rpm MG Series includes both SATA and SAS versions, "MG03ACA400" and "MG03SCA400" respectively, that deliver 4TB of storage, the largest capacity yet offered by Toshiba Business Wire India
Toshiba Collaborating in Development of Wireless Power System IC
Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO:6502) today announced that the company is collaborating with Hanrim Postec LLC (Hanrim) in the development of wireless power system ICs Business Wire India
2013 CES to Feature Internationally Headquartered Exhibitors from Forty-Eighty Countries
More than 1,300 internationally headquartered companies from 48 countries outside of the United States will unveil their latest consumer technology products at the 2013 International CES®, totaling more than forty percent of exhibiting companies Business Wire India
2013 International CES To Feature Record Amount of Exhibit Space
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)® today announced that the 2013 International CES® will feature a record amount of exhibit space, with the show floor totaling more than 1.87 million net square feet. The previous record was 1.862 million net square feet at the 2012 CES Business Wire India
Oakley’s Sebastian Zietz Wins Triple Crown
Oakley, Inc. today congratulated Sebastian “Seabass” Zietz for winning the 2012 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. Part of the Oakley Surf family since he was 16, Zietz has now secured a place on the 2013 Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Tour. Business Wire India
Panasonic Presenting the Tablet PC Edition of the World Heritage Calendar App in Conjunction with UNESCO
Following on from the web edition, the UNESCO World Heritage Centre and Panasonic Corporation (NYSE:PC)(TOKYO:6752) present the tablet PC edition of their calendar in five languages.http://panasonic.net/UNESCO_worldheritage_calendar Business Wire India
Carestream Health's New Online Portals Enable Patients to Access Medical Records, Play a More Active Role in Managing Their Care
Patients want to play an active role in managing their healthcare—and online access to medical records is an important first step. Business Wire India
ExxonMobil’s Outlook for Energy Forecasts Shift in Global Energy Balance and New Opportunities for International Trade and Economic Growth
The global energy landscape will evolve significantly as regional demand-and-supply patterns shift in the coming decades, creating new opportunities for international trade and economic growth, says ExxonMobil’s Outlook for Energy: A View to 2040, which was released today. Business Wire India
EVault Appoints Paul Hartzell as Vice President of Asia-Pacific Region
EVault, Inc., a Seagate Company (NASDAQ:STX), has named Paul Hartzell vice president for the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region. Hartzell will lead the company’s expansion, partnerships and overarching vision in the growing APAC market. Business Wire India
GoldMoney introduces gold and silver storage in Singapore
Following the release of a new storage location in Toronto, Canada earlier this year, GoldMoney – the leading online provider of physical bullion – is further expanding its precious metal storage options: customers can now store their gold and silver at a high-security vault in Singapore, operated by Brink’s Singapore Pte Limited. Business Wire India