AndhraNews.net
Home » International News » 2011 » August » August 20, 2011

Taliban attack on Kabul's British Council linked to Pakistan: Police chief


August 20, 2011 - Kabul

The brazen terror attack on the British Council in the Afghan capital was planned and directed by senior Taliban members hiding out in Pakistan, Kabul's police chief General Ayub Slangi has claimed.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for Friday's terror strike that killed eight, saying that the attack marked the anniversary of Afghanistan's independence from the United Kingdom in 1919.

The attackers, who used a truck bomb, suicide bombs and automatic weapons to besiege the British Council for hours, were in constant contact with their superiors in Pakistan based on cell phones recovered after Afghan and international forces retook the compound, General Slangi told ABC News.

Slangi has previously said that attacks in Afghanistan were directed out of Pakistan.

Police had intelligence Thursday night that there could be a terror attack in Kabul Friday, but did not know where it would take place, Slangi said.

The coordinated attack began when a terrorist, driving an explosive-laden truck, detonated his cargo at the compound's entrance, facilitating the entry of several attackers sporting suicide vests, rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades and AK-47s inside the compound.

The militants held the compound for hours, holing up in rooms with bullet-proof windows and walls as Afghan and international forces fought their way inside.

When the fight was over, all of the attackers, one New Zealand Special Forces soldier and seven others were dead, the report said.

The Kiwi was a member of a special unit embedded with Afghanistan's Crisis Response Unit, the same unit that was called into action when militants overtook Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel in June, it added.

ANI

Comment on this story

Share