AndhraNews.net
Home » International News » 2011 » June » June 11, 2011

Lawsuit filed against CIA for release of 'photo and video records' of Osama's killing


June 11, 2011 - Washington

Judicial Watch has filed a lawsuit against the Central Investigation Agency (CIA) and the US Department of Defense to release "all photographs and video records" of Osama bin Laden taken during or after the attack on his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan on May 1 last month, no matter how gruesome they might be.

It said that the lawsuit was filed after their Freedom of Information Act request was not answered.

"The American people by law have a right to know basic information about the killing of Osama bin Laden. President Obama's personal reluctance to release the documents is not a lawful basis for withholding them," the New York Daily News quoted Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton, as saying in a statement.

Following bin Laden's killing, President Barack Obama had announced that the pictures of the dreaded terrorist would not be released because they were very gruesome, but allowed few members of Congress to take a close look at them.

Although Al Qaeda and the US politicians who viewed the photographs confirmed bin Laden's death, some critics have questioned the lack of photographic evidence of the top-secret operation.

Obama, however, had said last month that the release of the photographs would lead to an unnecessary celebration.

ANI

Comment on this story

Share