Sabir Ali asks BJP to put his membership on hold
March 29, 2014 - New Delhi
- Sabir Ali asks BJP leadership to put his membership on hold
- Expelled Janata Dal (United) leader Sabir Ali has asked the BJP leadership to put his membership on hold.
- There is growing resistance among BJP leaders who are opposing the induction of Sabir Ali in BJP. Those who questioned or criticized Sabir Ali's induction are BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Rajeshwar Chaurasia, Balbir Punj and Kalraj Mishra.
- Sabir Ali is likely to challenge Mukhtar Naqvi to prove claims against him. He may also approach a court.
- There have been allegations that Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yaseen Bhatkal has been arrested from Sabir Ali's house. BJP leader Naqvi posted a controversial tweet last night which read "Terrorist Bhatakal friend join BJP...soon accepting Dawood...". The tweet has been deleted later.
- Rashriya Swayamsevak Sangh also backed Naqvi in the controversy.
- Congress senior leader Kapil Sibal criticized BJP on changing its stance on national security issues like Terrorism. Sibal is apparently referring to the induction of Sabir Ali into the party.
BJP leaders kept in dark
- According to sources, many BJP leaders are not aware of the party inducing JDU leader Sabir Ali.
- Sabir Ali met BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in Gandhinagar on March 6. Modi's supporters took the lead in arranging the meeting between Sabir Ali and Modi.
- According to Modi's supporters, the induction of Sabir Ali is to have more Muslim faces in the party ahead of the elections.