President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates Polio Free Conclave 2014
March 29, 2014 - New Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee hailed India's achievement of being declared polio-free by the World Health Organization.
- India was declared polio free by the World Health Organization making South East Asia, the fourth region in the World to be declared polio-free.
- The Indian President said that India should now assist countries like Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan to fight polio like the way India did.
- Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated Polio Free Conclave 2014 organised by Rotary International at New Delhi.
- He said that India should maintain a constant vigil against the deadly polio virus and said that the country will always be under threat as long as polio virus survived anywhere in the world.
- Pranab acknowledged the role played by Rotary International and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in providing material resources to combat the disease.
- The central and state governments were supported by several agencies such as Rotary International, UNICEF, CDC, WHO etc.
- Mementos of appreciation were presented to former Health and Family Welfare Minister A Ramadoss and current Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.