India News on May 27, 2014
May 27, 2014 - New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several of his Council of Ministers have assumed charge of their respective ministries.
- In one of the first decisions taken by the Narendra Modi led government, the Centre has announced setting up a SIT on black money. Narendra Modi chaired the first cabinet meeting today. Speaking to media later, Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said that the SIT will be set up under the orders of the Supreme Court. The SIT will help unearth black money stashed abroad.
- Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley assumes charge of his office. He held a brief media interaction where he said that his priorities would be to tackle inflation, boost economic growth and follow the path of fiscal consolidation among others.
- An MiG-21 of the Indian Air Force crashed in Anantnag district of Kashmir. Pilot Raghu Bansi, an IAF Squadron Leader, died on spot. The co-pilot suffered serious injuries. The fighter plane took off from Srinagar and crashed at 10:48 am. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah expressed condolences to the bereaved family.
- Attorney General GE Vahanvati and Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran tendered their resignations from their respective posts. According to reports, Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi is likely to succeed Vahanvati as the next AG.