India News on March 5, 2014
March 5, 2014 - New Delhi
- Election Commission of India announces schedule for 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
- 2014 Lok Sabha Polls will be held in 9 phases. Polls will be held on April 7, April 9, April 10, April 12, April 14, April 25, April 30, May 7 and May 12.
- State Assembly elections in Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim and Odisha will also be held simultaneously with general elections.
- BJP chief Rajnath Singh has welcomed the decision of Election Commission on upcoming polls. He said that the upcoming elections will be unbiased and predicted a clear majority for BJP looking at the response at Narendra Modi's rallies. Ravi Shankar Prasad said that the upcoming elections will ensure a Congress free government.
- Rahul Gandhi address tribal youth in Maharashtra, says representation of tribals in Parliament is important for empowerment.
- BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi welcomed the announcement of polls and called on people to vote for India. He welcomes 10 crore new voters in a series of tweets.
- Congress has finalized an alliance with Rashtriya Janata Dal for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. As per the understanding, RJD will contest in 27 seats, Congress in 12 seats and Nationalist Congress Party in 1 seat.
- Supreme court of India confirms conviction of Ansal brothers in the Uphaar building tragedy that killed 59 persons at a Delhi cinema 16 years ago.
- Lawyers in Kanpur extended their solidarity with the ongoing doctors’ protest by going on a day-long strike. Meanwhile, 24 doctors have been released on bail. The medicos are protesting after their colleagues at GSVM medical college were allegedly beaten up by Kanpur police and supporters of Samajwadi Party MLA Irfan Solanki on February 28.