Congress candidate Imran Masood denied bail
March 29, 2014 - Saharanpur
- Congress Lok Sabha candidate Imran Masood was denied bail by the Deoband court which sent him to 14 days of judicial custody.
- Imran Masood was arrested in the wee hours of Saturday after the Police booked him for hate speech yesterday.
- A video of Masood threatening to chop Modi to pieces went viral on the social media recently.
- The arrest of Masood has forced Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi to cancel his rally at Saharanpur today.
- Addressing a rally in Ghaziabad for party candidate Raj Babbar, Rahul Gandhi mentioned Imran Masood in his speech. He distanced himself from Masood's comments saying that such thought process does not reflect the ideology of the Congress.
- Meanwhile, the Congress unit in Saharanpur is seriously considering whether to drop Imran Masood from the race before the Election Commission takes any action against Masood.
- Meanwhile, Masood claimed that the footage was taken six months ago and that he regretted the choice of words used while making that speech. He said that the message intended was to teach Modi a lesson in politics. He added that Modi should also apologise for the Gujarat riots.