BJP confirms Uma Bharti will contest from Jhansi
March 28, 2014 - New Delhi
- Bharatiya Janata Party has announced that its firebrand leader Uma Bharti will contet from Jhansi.
- BJP spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi has put rest to speculations that Uma Bharti might contest against Congress president Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli.
- The party has not yet decided on who to field against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi who are contesting from Rae Bareli and Amethi constituencies respectively. Congress has a strong hold on Rae Bareli constituency.
- Speculations that Uma Bharti, the former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, will contest against Sonia Gandhi gained momentum after yoga guru Ramdev has hinted two days back.
- Uma Bharti herself has made it clear that she will not leave Jhansi constituency. The decision was conveyed to BJP president Rajnath Singh as well.
- She however is not opposed to contest from Rae Bareli and is ready to contest from both constituencies.
- Uma Bharti was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1991 (Khajuraho), 1996 (Khajuraho), 1998 (Khajuraho), 1999 (Bhopal) and to Assembly in 2012 (Charkhari).
- Actress turned politician Smriti Irani challenging Rahul Gandhi from Amethi is not decided yet.