Sanjay Dutt appear before TADA
Andhra Pradesh ~ India ~ International ~ City ~ Entertainment ~ Business ~ Sports ~ Technology ~ Health ~ Features
2010 Commonwealth Games ~ 2010 Nobel Prizes ~ Sachin Tendulkar ~ Rajasthan Royals ~ Kings XI Punjab ~ Sushil Kumar ~ Deepika Kumari ~ Somdev Devvarman ~ HR Bhardwaj
Home / India News / 2007 / May 2007 / May 25, 2007
Sanjay Dutt to appear before TADA court today
RSS / Print / Comments

Top News

144 Section in Hyderabad ahead of Ayodhya verdict

Manmohan Singh to campaign in Bihar today

FBI failed to act on Headley's wife's terror link expose 3 yrs before Mumbai attacks

Craven's horror flicks 'were inspired by real stories'

RBI will intervene if inflows turn lumpy: Subbarao

Enforcement Directorate issues 'Look Out Circular' against Lalit Modi

Now, laser technology that destroys tumours using heat

Waist size, not BMI can foretell cardiovascular risk in children

Sanjay Dutt to appear before TADA court today

Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted for possessing illegal weapon in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case, will appear before a special TADA court here today.

Mumbai, May 25 : Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted for possessing illegal weapon in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case, will appear before a special TADA court here today.

Dutt was asked by the court to be present today after he failed to appear before it earlier due to ill health.

It is not clear whether court will take Dutt's probation plea or will give quantum of punishment.

Dutt had filed an application under the Probation of Offenders Act (POA), 1958.

According to the Act, a person convicted of any offence other than the one punishable with death or life imprisonment, can be released on probation instead of serving the sentence in prison.

The prosecution, through Ujjwal Nikam, had argued that Dutt could not be granted leniency for being a "youthful" offender, when the crime was committed. He said the POA was meant for young and immature offenders.

Nikam had said that Dutt, who was 34 years old in 1993, when he accepted an AK-56 rifle and a Chinese 9mm pistol from Samir Hingora, was "mature and adult". He contended that Dutt could then distinguish between a hunting rifle and an AK-56, "a weapon of mass destruction".

Dutt's lawyers had urged that he be set free for his good behaviour during the bail, citing a 1958 law, which allows certain convicts to be given probation.

Dutt, 48, has been consistently granted bail and has also been cleared of conspiracy charges against him.

Dutt has been out on bail since 1995 after spending over a year in prison during initial investigations into the blasts.

In total, 100 people have been found guilty in the blast case. So far, 28 people, including five policemen, have been handed jail terms ranging from three years to life and fines for abetment.

The prime accused in the case, Tiger Memon and his family are still absconding and are reportedly living in Pakistan.

ANI

Suggested pages for your additional reading
AndhraNews.net on Facebook






© 2000-2017 AndhraNews.net. All Rights Reserved and are of their respective owners.
Disclaimer, Terms of Service & Privacy Policy | Contact Us