Season four premiere of 'Game of Thrones' sets record with 6.6 million viewers
April 8, 2014 - Los Angeles
- The season four premiere of the biggest phenomenon on TV now 'Game of Thrones' drew an audience of 6.6 million viewers. The episode has drawn the largest audience for HBO since the 2007 finale of "The Sopranos" which drew 11.9 million viewers.
- The season four premiere has beaten the premiere of season three which drew 4.4 million viewers.
- 'Game of Thrones' is shaping up to be Time Warner Inc network's biggest show since 'The Sopranos'.
- The season four premiere shows remaining members of Starks coming to terms with the deaths of main members of Stark family in the 'Red Wedding' episode last season.
- A total of 8.2 million people watched the premiere episode including two replays later on Sunday. The hit TV show averages a gross audience of 14.4 million per episode.
- The TV shows a hit on Internet too as BitTorrent recorded more than 1 million downloads in half a day. At least 300,000 people were watching simultaneously at one point.