Sylvan Learning Launches Mobile Games Network for Kids
March 13, 2014 - Baltimore, MdÂ
BALTIMORE, MD --(Marketwired - March 13, 2014) - Is it ok for kids to binge on mobile games? Sylvan thinks so -- as long as they are the right ones. But how can parents find games that guarantee their kids' screen time is actually beneficial? To help take the guesswork out of choosing from the thousands of apps available, Sylvan Learning introduces SylvanPlay -- a comprehensive, educational mobile games network for kids in 1
Rather than just one individual app, SylvanPlay is launching with a library of nine fun, Sylvan-approved edutainment apps all packaged together in one network. The games, which have been developed to help students build critical skills in reading, math, science, geography, strategic thinking and more, include:
- Critter Cruise (ages 6 - 9): Inspires math and language learning as kids take a landmark filled road trip across North America, filling up their gas tank by correctly answering questions. This game was developed exclusively for SylvanPlay and aligns to specific grade level content and the Common Core curriculum.
- Battle Station (ages 6 - 9): Helps kids improve number sense as they defend their ship from enemy submarines by estimating their location using marker buoys. Will be an exclusive SylvanPlay launch.
- Angle Asteroids (ages 6 - 9): Helps kids develop an intuition for angles as they position their laser to blast away the incoming asteroids. Will be an exclusive SylvanPlay launch.
- Pizza Party (ages 6 - 9): Helps kids master fractions by splitting up the treats at a pizza party with fun tools like the Slice-o-matic. Will be an exclusive SylvanPlay launch.
- Equator (ages 6 - 9, tablet only): Challenges kids to collaborate to bring balance to the equator by testing their math skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and order of operations as they play through four seasons: Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.
- Sushi Scramble (ages 6 - 9, tablet only): Develops language skills through a multiplayer word-building game where 2 to 4 players collaborate or compete to "serve" up the most words or longest word.
- Not Lost in the Universe (ages 6 - 9, tablet only): Teaches kids about how wind, the sun, water, and heat create lasting sources of energy while helping the brave explorers on the Planet Blarp refuel their power cells.
- Get Rocky (ages 6 - 9): Inspires an interest in science through a geology-based racing game that takes kids to the core of the earth.
- Wonder Bunny Math Race (ages 3 - 8): Helps younger kids ages 3-8 learn numbers, counting, addition and subtraction as they help Wonder Bunny win the race and collect carrots along the way.
"Sylvan Learning is focused on providing a personal learning experience using the latest technology to engage and connect with kids," says Julia Fitzgerald, Chief Marketing Officer at Sylvan Learning. "We developed SylvanPlay as a way to extend the learning that happens in our centers and provide parents and kids with Sylvan-approved games they know will be fun, educational, and grade-appropriate. With SylvanPlay, parents can be confident that their kids are turning game time into brain-building time."
The SylvanPlay network will continue to expand on an on-going basis and the content range will soon be available for kids up to 6
SylvanPlay is available for both iOS and Android operating systems and offers an assortment of free and paid content ranging from $.99 to $4.99. To download to any mobile device, parents can type in "SylvanPlay" or any of the app titles into the search function of either the Apple App store or Android's GooglePlay store to locate the educational mobile games network. All apps within the SylvanPlay network are free for current SylvanSync customers.
"As kids became more comfortable working with technology, Sylvan has moved its curriculum to iPads® with the SylvanSync platform," continues Fitzgerald. "Sylvan continues to follow what families are doing and adapting the curriculum to the devices they prefer. Why make parents say 'no' to apps and games if we can turn them into educational tools that help their child succeed?"
To build the new educational game network, Sylvan Learning partnered with Fingerprint, a global technology company, to leverage its well-established mobile technology platform and proven network model. Now SylvanPlay can provide a fun and safe edutainment hub for kids and parents alike.
About Sylvan Learning, Inc.
With more than 30 years of experience and more than 800 locations throughout North America, Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of personal learning for students in grades K-12. As the leader in supplemental education, Sylvan is transforming how students learn, inspiring them to succeed in school and in life. Sylvan's proven tutoring approach blends amazing teachers with SylvanSync™ technology on the iPad® for an engaging learning experience. Sylvan programs include study skills, math, reading, writing and test prep for college entrance and state exams. Sylvan also provides educational services to public and nonpublic schools. The company was founded in 1979 and is headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland. For more information, call 1-800-31-SUCCESS, or visit SylvanLearning.com or Sylvan's Mom Minded blog at SylvanLearning.com/blog.
Fingerprint is a global mobile technology company that powers games and curates play-and-learn content to targeted customers around the world through dedicated mobile networks. The company is growing at a rapid rate as global brands look to efficiently and effectively reach parents and children with highly relevant entertainment, where they are, which today, is nearly all mobile. Fingerprint works with industry leaders that license Fingerprint's technology platform and content solution. Fingerprint powered networks are also creating new distribution and monetization opportunities for kid-mobile content developers. Fingerprint is funded by leading consumer tech investors including Corus Entertainment and K2MediaLabs.
For more information, visit fingerprintplay.com or facebook.com/fingerprintplay.
SylvanPlay and SylvanSync are trademarks of Sylvan Learning
iPad is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2014/3/12/11G013274/Images/Sylvan_Play_Logo-1078757880303.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2014/3/12/11G013274/Images/Critter_Cruise_Home_Screen-1060664864070.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2014/3/12/11G013274/Images/Critter_Cruise_GamePlay-1168893491596.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2014/3/12/11G013274/Images/About_SylvanPlay-1335783950283.jpg
Embedded Video Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFB8MlUwBuw