Nokia India employees at Sriperumbudur to stage one day hunger stike
March 29, 2014 - Chennai
- A section of employees of Nokia's plant at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu are gearing up to stage a one day hunger strike on March 31.
- The employees of the Finnish handset maker are seeking job security in the wake of the recent deal between Nokia and Microsoft.
- Honorary President of Nokia India Employees Union A Soundararajan said that they will intensify the protests after the Lok Sabha elections next month.
- The Employees Union want Central and State Governments to come forward to ensure no job losses for Nokia India employees post the transfer of assets of Nokia to Microsoft.
- The Tamil Nadu government has recently slapped a Rs 2400 crore commercial tax demand on Nokia India Private Limited.
- The State government justified the tax demand saying that Nokia India did nor furnish documents to establish exports. Handsets manufactured in India but not exported would entail 4% VAT.
- The case was heard by Justice B Rajendran who adjourned it to April 1.