Lansinoh, the World Leader in Breastfeeding Accessories, Celebrates Thirty Years of Helping Mothers and Babies Breastfeed
May 28, 2014 - Alexandria, VA
ALEXANDRIA, VA--(Marketwired - May 28, 2014) - Lansinoh Laboratories, the market leader in breastfeeding accessories, is celebrating its 30th anniversary today. Since its inception in 1984, Lansinoh has helped millions of moms and babies around the world by providing innovative breastfeeding products that help them start and continue nursing.
"Lansinoh was founded by a breastfeeding mom who recognized a need, and then had the vision and courage to introduce a product to the world to help moms and babies breastfeed," said Kevin Vyse-Peacock, CEO, Lansinoh Laboratories. "That vision continues to drive everything we do today as a company, and we are more determined than ever to help moms around the world achieve their breastfeeding goals."
Key Lansinoh Facts & Figures
- More than 65 million containers of Lansinoh® Lanolin have been used to soothe cracked and sore ni*ples, a common side effect of breastfeeding.
- Lansinoh® has sold more than 4.4 billion disposable nursing pads, providing millions of breastfeeding moms with the comfort and confidence of knowing they won't leak in public.
- More than 2.25 billion ounces of breastmilk have been stored in Lansinoh® breastmilk storage bags.
- Lansinoh® products are available in 57 countries, helping breastfeeding mothers around the world.
In the past 30 years, Lansinoh has expanded its initial product offering of a Lanolin ni*ple cream to include a full-range of products designed to help breastfeeding moms. These products include breast and ni*ple therapies, breast pumps, breastmilk storage products, and bottles specifically designed for breastfed babies.
"Our heritage is fundamentally rooted in breastfeeding, and it is fascinating to watch industry trends parallel our own story," said Gina Ciagne, Vice President of Healthcare Relations, Lansinoh Laboratories. "Here in the United States, we have seen breastfeeding initiation rates increase to 77 percent -- the highest in modern history. The United States government has embraced the health benefits of breastfeeding by protecting pumping breaks and covering the cost of breast pumps in the Affordable Care Act. Moms are actively and vocally defending their right to feed their babies in public, and laws -- and the enforcement of these laws -- are finally catching up. We will continue to advocate for breastfeeding, and support women with educational tools and helpful products so that every mom can breastfeed for as long as she chooses."
Key Breastfeeding Facts & Figures
- The breastfeeding initiation rate in the United States in 1984 was approximately 60 percent (Source: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/110/6/1103.long).
- In 2013, the breastfeeding initiation rate in the United States reached 77 percent, with 49 percent of babies still being breastfed at 6 months (Source: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/pdf/2013breastfeedingreportcard.pdf).
- Under the Affordable Care Act, most health insurance plans must now provide breastfeeding support, counseling and equipment (Source: www.healthcare.gov).
- Additionally, the Affordable Care act amended the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) so most employers are now required to provide breastfeeding mothers with break times and an appropriate place for them to pump (not a bathroom) for one year after the child's birth (Source: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.htm).
- Forty-five states have laws that protect a mother's right to breastfeed in public and 28 states exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws (http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx).
Highlights from Lansinoh's 30-Year History
- 1984: Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh® launches with a lanolin product designed to soothe sore ni*ples
- 1993 to 2013: Lansinoh® Lanolin receives endorsement from La Leche League International
- 2001: Lansinoh opens its first international office in the UK
- 2004: Lansinoh opens an office in Germany
- 2005 to present: The cornerstone product, Lansinoh® HPA® Lanolin, is recognized as the #1 recommended ni*ple cream by lactation consultants in the USA
- 2009: Lansinoh opens an office in Turkey
- 2010: Lansinoh begins designing, creating and manufacturing its own brand of breast pumps, so that moms can continue to provide breastmilk to their babies even when they have to be apart
- 2014: Lansinoh continues its international expansion and opens an office in Brazil to better serve its Latin American consumers
A timeline of these and other significant events is available at www.lansinoh.com/thirtyyears.
ABOUT LANSINOH LABORATORIES INC.
Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh has been committed to helping moms succeed in breastfeeding for 30 years. Famous for its award-winning cornerstone product, HPA® Lanolin, today Lansinoh is the market leader in breastfeeding accessories. Lansinoh's commitment to drive innovation and maintain the highest quality standards in the industry has led to an expanded product offering that includes premium toddler mealtime and baby toiletries products, all designed to help moms, babies and families live a healthy life. The Lansinoh family of brands, which are available in more than 25,000 retail stores nationwide, includes breastfeeding accessories and the mOmma® bottle feeding system.
The following files are available for download: