Ahold publishes Q1 2014 Results
May 28, 2014 - London
- Sales* of €9.8 billion broadly flat, impacted by low inflation and volumes under pressure
- Online sales of €362 million, up 20.0% on an identical basis
- Underlying operating margin 4.0%, compared to 4.1% last year
- Program launched in the United States to improve customer proposition
- Stabilized market share trend in the Netherlands in a slowing market
- Acquisition of Czech SPAR stores announced; sale of Slovakian business completed
- Agreement reached in principle to settle Waterbury class action
* at constant exchange rates
Zaandam, the Netherlands - Ahold today published its interim report for the first quarter of 2014.
CEO Dick Boer said: "First quarter sales trends were similar to the previous quarter with a flat year-on-year performance, impacted by low inflation and volumes that remained under pressure in all our markets.
"In the United States, we decided to roll out a program to improve our customer proposition by investing in the quality and merchandising of our Fresh assortment, associate training and targeted price reductions in all our divisions. In the Netherlands, our market share performance stabilized versus the previous quarter and we continue to focus on improvements and additions to our assortment to further strengthen our commercial position.
"We are expanding our online position in the United States and the Netherlands, and we are pleased with the overall sales growth of over 20% on an identical basis.
"Our outlook for the next quarter reflects similar trading conditions to the first quarter as well as investments in our customer proposition and future growth."
Full Q1 2014 Report and Q1 2014 Presentation attached as PDF to this message.
Please follow this link to watch a video interview with Jeff Carr, Ahold CFO.
Ahold Q1 2014 Results - Report
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Ahold via Globenewswire